Thursday, December 6, 2007

Shattered Illusions

*Sigh*. When I first started becoming interested in making my own natural beauty products I had a vision of being able to do so without using preservatives. I would make lotions, shampoo and scrubs and only use Grapeseed Extract for preservative. I have now learned that this is exceedingly dangerous.

Apparently, all the GSE (Grapeseed Extract) or Vitamin-E does is to keep the oils in the formula from going rancid. It does not keep the product from growing mold, yeast and bacteria. ICK! If a product has the least bit of water in it or is used in the shower it needs a real preservative. So much for being all natural, I guess.

I am quite bummed from learning this. I now have a choice of a) only making products that have no water in them and that are not to be used in the shower, or b)use a preservative or c)not use preservative and make whatever I want and then be sued or have people getting sick and dying from my products.

The lesser evil seems to be using the preservative. But which one is the best one for my use? Which one has less dangerous chemicals in it? This article may help you, as it has helped me. I haven't decided yet, but I have found more info to research, at least.

What do you think about this?